This is my fourth post for the April A-Z Challenge. I am blogging every day in April using the letters of the alphabet as prompts. Today I am going to write the medical people in my extended family, past and present.
I have included the Eliza and Dock Allen Descendents towards the left and the Cleages and Reeds towards the right. Things get a little messy in the middle.
I decided to do this collage when I realized there were quite a few medical people in the family. If I forgot anyone, forgive me. There are several people that married into the family here, usually shown with their spouse. From left to right, starting with the top row we have:
- Ubert Vincent (1889-1938) in the operating room as a student. Ubert was married to Naomi Tulane, Eliza and Dock’s granddaughter.
- Next we have Pat, who is a nurse and descends from the Mullins line of the Reed family.
- Then my grandfather, Albert B. Cleage, Sr., (1883-1957) sitting on the steps with other doctors on the staff at Dunbar Hospital in Detroit.
- Last in the top row is my Aunt Gladys Cleage’s husband, Edward Warren Evans giving a shot to Malcolm X after his house was bombed and he came to Detroit to speak.
- Ubert Vincent again standing outside of the hospital in New York City that he founded.
- Next is Dr. Joseph Howard (1880-1941), husband of Otilla McCall Howard who is from Mary Allen McCall’s line from Eliza.
- A tiny photo of Angie, who is a nurse and married William Chapell, in the Jennie Allen Turner line of Eliza and Dock Allen.
- Next is a photo of Angie we can actually see without enlarging.
- Hubert Conrad Vincent (Ubert’s son) who was also a doctor. I have no adult photo of him, yet.
- Dr. Maria Shreve Benaim who is the daughter of Winslow and Anna Cleage Shreve, both pharmacists. Winslow Shreve is next to his daughter.
- Skipping past my grandfather Dr. Albert B. Cleage Sr enlarged on the stairs we have his son, Dr. Louis Cleage giving a polio shot.
- Starts with Ubert and Naomi Vincent’s daughters – Sylvia and Jacqui who were both nurses.
- And moves right along to dentist Robert Bingham who is Jacqui’s son and Ubert’s grandson.
- Going up to the next photo we have another dentist, Robert McEwen who married Jeanette McCall, again from Mary Allen McCall’s line, which goes back to Eliza.
- Next is Edward McCall who studied to be a doctor but went blind and became a poet and a publisher instead. Another of Mary McCall’s children.
- Now we drop down to the bottom to finish out this row.
- Under Jeanette and Robert we have another dentist, Dr. Charles Pope. He was the son of Eliza and Dock’s youngest daughter, Beaulah Allen Pope. His twin sister, Anne’s husband, Ludie Gilmer was also a dentist but I have no photograph of him.
- Next we have nurse Maricea who comes through Jennie Allen Turner’s line from Eliza and Dock Allen.
- Moving back to the Cleage/Reeds we have Dr. Janine Bergerac Fromm who is from Hugh Reed Averette’s line. She is a psychiatrist.
- Next her is pharmacist Anna Cleage Shreve working in her brother Louis’s pharmacy.
- Next is Dr. Susan Thrasher-Martin. She is married to Dr. Ernest Martin who is from the Albert B. Cleage and Pearl Reed line. He is a psychiatrist.
- There is a little tomb stone tucked right above Susan’s head. I have no photo of Dr. Beauford Avritt but wanted to get him in here.
Hope this wasn’t too confusing. There are also quite a few teachers and artists/musician/writers in the family. All deserving of a collage at some point.